Your ultimate guide to treating uneven skin tones
Just because you see uneven skin tones looking back at you in the mirror doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about them. In fact, there are some incredible face serums available that have been scientifically designed to treat uneven skin tones.
Want to make your face tone appear more even? Then read on to find out all the tricks and best serums for your skincare routine.What is an uneven skin tone and what causes it?
Also known as hyperpigmentation, an uneven skin tone is simply irregular darkening of the skin. It’s due to an overproduction of melanin, which is the pigment responsible for your skin and hair colour. Hyperpigmentation creates dark patches and spots on your skin that typically look ‘aged’ and can therefore make you appear older than you actually are.
In terms of what causes uneven skin tone, there are many different factors:
- Sun exposure: When you repeatedly expose your skin to UV light, it produces more melanin to help protect your skin against the UV. Brown spots and uneven skin tone develop as a result.
- Pollution: Air pollution particles are so small that they can easily penetrate your skin and end up causing brown spots, particularly on your face.
- Hormones: Melasma is hormone-related hyperpigmentation caused by increased hormone stimulation.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: This is a darkening of the skin as a result of scarring, which can be caused by acne.
So what’s the best way to treat your uneven skin tone? It’s not just one thing, but a range of tactics to keep your skin looking smooth and younger.
First, make sure you apply SPF products daily. Unprotected sun exposure is the number-one culprit of hyperpigmentation. Make sure you use sunscreen or moisturiser that has at least 30 SPF.
You’ll also want to include regular exfoliation in your skincare routine. Treat any existing hyperpigmentation at the source by first sloughing off dead, dulling skin cells with an exfoliation serum. This will ensure the ingredients in your serums and moisturisers can better penetrate your skin’s surface.
Speaking of which, always check the ingredients in your skincare products to make sure they are beneficial for smoothing out uneven skin tones. Ingredients like niacinamide and zinc glycinate help control melanin production, while retinol restores your skin. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that protects against free-radical damage that can cause uneven skin tones.BOOST LAB serums that can help even out your skin tone
Face serums are a concentrated blast of high-quality ingredients that can help even out your skin tone quickly and effectively. And at BOOST LAB, we have two serums that have been scientifically designed for this very purpose:
- Brightening Serum: This serum quickly penetrates your skin and helps smooth out uneven tones thanks to its concentrated blend of Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Vitamin E and Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide). The Vitamin C ensures firmer skin that’s protected against redness and inflammation caused by UV and pollution, while niacinamide helps with blemish control, rebalances any uneven skin tones and protects skin against UV-premature ageing and Vitamin E accelerates the healing of skin damage.
- Blemish Rescue Serum: Supercharged with niacinamide to help control melanin production, this smoothing serum also creates a barrier between the skin and external nasties like air pollution.
for supercharged results.
5 star serums
at 3 star prices.
Hyper targeted solutions, with gold standard ingredients.