Not sure what product's right for you?
translation missing: en.collections.collection.no_results
Why is my skin tone uneven?
Uneven skin tone, or hyperpigmentation, is simply irregular darkening of the skin. It’s due to an overproduction of melanin, which is the pigment responsible for your skin and hair colour. Hyperpigmentation creates dark patches and spots on your skin that typically look ‘aged’ and can therefore make you appear older than you actually are. In terms of what causes uneven skin tone, there are many different factors:
- Sun exposure: When you repeatedly expose your skin to UV light, it produces more melanin to help protect your skin against the UV. Brown spots and uneven skin tone develop as a result.
- Pollution: Air pollution particles are so small that they can easily penetrate your skin and end up causing brown spots, particularly on your face.
- Hormones: Melasma is hormone-related hyperpigmentation caused by increased production of melanin.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: This is a darkening of the skin as a result of scarring, which can be caused by acne.
How can I improve my skin texture and complexion?
So what’s the best way to treat your uneven skin tone? It’s not just one thing, but a range of tactics to keep your skin looking smooth and younger.
First, make sure you apply SPF products daily. Unprotected sun exposure is the number-one culprit of hyperpigmentation as well as early skin ageing and an increased risk of skin cancer. Make sure you use sunscreen or moisturiser that has at least 30 SPF. WE also recommend trying mineral-based sunscreens that have a reflective quality, helping to diminish harmful UV from damaging your skin and causing uneven skin tone.
You’ll also want to include regular exfoliation in your skincare routine. Treat any existing hyperpigmentation at the source by first sloughing off dead, dulling skin cells with an exfoliation serum. This will ensure the ingredients in your serums and moisturisers can better penetrate your skin’s surface.
Speaking of which, always check the ingredients list in your skin tone evening products to make sure they contain things like niacinamide and Zinc - PCA that help control melanin production, while retinol boosts skin cell production and restores any damage. When it comes to uneven tone skin treatment Vitamin C is one of the most important antioxidants to look for as it is an antioxidant that protects against damage from free-radicals that leads to uneven skin tone. If that hasn’t convinced you here are 3 definitive reasons why you need a Vitamin C serum in your routine.
However we cannot stress enough the importance of using adequate sun protection! If you're not doing the classic slip, slop, slap every time you head out into the sun you’ll never be able to keep an even skin tone.
What is the best product for evening out skin tone?
Face serums are the best skin tone evening products as they deliver a concentrated blast of high-quality ingredients that can help even out your skin tone quickly and effectively. And at BOOST LAB, we have a number of serums that have been scientifically designed for this very purpose:
- Brightening Serum: This serum quickly penetrates your skin and helps smooth out uneven tones thanks to its concentrated blend of Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Vitamin E and Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide). The Vitamin C ensures firmer skin that’s protected against redness and inflammation caused by UV and pollution, while niacinamide helps with blemish control, rebalances any uneven skin tones and protects skin against UV-premature ageing and Vitamin E accelerates the healing of skin damage.
- AHA Resurfacing Serum: Take the pain out of exfoliating with a serum that actively removes dead cells without the risk of micro-tearing.
- Blemish Rescue Serum: Supercharged with niacinamide to help control melanin production, this smoothing serum also creates a barrier between the skin and external nasties like air pollution.
- Retinol Night Renewal Serum: The perfect overnight renewal potion to repair skin damage that causes wrinkles, dry skin, loss of firmness and elasticity, and uneven pigmentation.
What food improves skin complexion?
We’re all well aware that a healthy balanced diet full of nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants is important for our health. Eating unhealthy food or neglecting certain food groups can lead to increased weight and impair your metabolism which can damage organs like our brain, heart and liver.
What you eat also affects another very important organ, yes that's right, your skin! As we learn more about diet and how it plays a role in bodily health, it’s increasingly clear that your dietary choices can have a large impact on the health and ageing of your skin.
So for uneven skin tone treatment and to promote radiant and youthful skin here are some super healthy foods you should consider adding to your basket next time you head to the shops.
Fatty Fish: Great sources of omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for keeping skin hydrated. They are also a great source of vitamin E and Zinc, two of the most important ingredients for healthy skin as they help protect your skin against damage from free radicals and inflammation and promote production of new skin cells.
Sweet Potatoes: An excellent source of beta carotene which converts into Vitamin A in your body helping to protect from environmental assault and promote skin cell renewal. Beta carotene is also present in oranges and vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, spinach and red and yellow capsicum.
Avocados: High in healthy fats which help keep your skin flexible and hydrated. Also a great source of Vitamin C & E which work extremely well together to protect your skin from oxidative damage and promote collagen production.
Soy: Soy contains isoflavones, which research has shown will help reduce wrinkles, improve skin elasticity, skin tone, dryness and protect from UV assault.
Walnuts: Another good source of essential fatty acids (especially omega-3), zinc and protein
Sunflower Seeds: Nuts and seeds across the board are good sources of skin-boosting nutrients like Vitamin E & Zinc.
Broccoli: Contains a number of vitamins and minerals essential for happy, healthy skin including Vitamins A & C and Zinc. It also contains the antioxidant lutein which works to prevent your skin from becoming uneven and dry.
Dark Chocolate: Last but certainly not least, cocoa contains plenty of antioxidants that may help your skin avoid sunburn as well as reduce wrinkles and roughness, hydrate your skin and increase blood flow to the skin.
for supercharged results.
5 star serums
at 3 star prices.
Hyper targeted solutions, with gold standard ingredients.