Fight the effects of pollution with these 4 skincare saviours
Pollution is the invisible enemy of healthy skin. And because it’s easy to forget that things like smog, dirt particles and other external pollutants can stick to you over the course of the day, it can leave your skin looking dull, dehydrated and acne-prone.
An anti-pollution skincare routine is the solution, and it’s easier than you think to take care of your skin. Here’s what you need to know about fighting the effects of everyday pollution.What can pollution actually do to your skin?
When we think about ‘pollution’, it’s usually industrial buildings and the ozone layer that comes to mind. But small pollution particles can do serious damage by breaking down collagen and oxidising your skin’s lipid layer. This, in turn, hampers your skin-barrier function and leaves it open to dehydration, sensitivity, uneven skin tone, dullness, acne, premature ageing and more.
Your skin is your natural barrier against these external pollutants. While most of the time it succeeds in keeping out the nasty stuff, it’s not impenetrable. To avoid smog particles from getting through your skin barrier and dirt particles from clogging up your pores, you need an anti-pollution skincare routine.How can you protect your skin from pollution?
The number-one rule for fighting the effects of pollution on your skin is to cleanse it every single day. Our recommendation is to cleanse twice daily with products packed with helpful antioxidants – they can neutralise free radicals and therefore mitigate the negative effects of pollution particles.
Skincare products that have been designed to fight pollution generally work by cleansing your skin from nanoparticles. These are invisible to the eye and are easily absorbed into your skin from the air. Other products work by creating a protective barrier on your skin that acts as a shield against external pollutants – essentially working in the same way as sunscreen. Finally, some skincare products remove pollutants after your skin has already been exposed to them.
Whatever their design, it’s important to make them part of your daily skincare routine.Your 4-step anti-pollution skincare guide
- Ensure you deep-clean every day
Use a cleanser or micellar water twice daily to wash away particles that have collected on your skin over the course of the day. Think of micellar water like a magnet – it draws in dirt and dust, all the while feeling gentle on your skin. Make sure you bolster this step by also using a scientifically designed product like our Resurfacing Serum, which can help by exfoliating and moisturising your skin.
- Consider using a toner
It might not be part of your routine right now, but an alcohol-free toner will help remove any remaining particles that your cleanser might have missed.
- Take in those antioxidants
Oxidation is a process that makes your skin prematurely age, and this process is accelerated when you’re exposed to harmful air and pollutants. A skincare routine that is boosted by antioxidants can stop oxidation in its tracks, especially when using products formulated with Vitamin A, C or E. We recommend using both a moisturiser and our Blemish Rescue Serum to take this step to the next level.
- Protect your skin barrier during the night
Pollution doesn’t just do damage when you’re outside. It is constantly attacking your skin and can cause premature skin ageing. So how can you stop that from happening? Apply a moisturiser or your Night Renewal Serum just before heading to bed, as this will help create a strong skin barrier which is key to fighting off the effects of pollution.BOOST LAB serums to fight the effects of pollution
Want to expand your anti-pollution skincare armoury with a collection of our best serums? Here are some of the ways BOOST LAB helps keep your skin clear and healthy:
- Blemish Rescue Serum: Get a serious injection of Vitamin B3 directly into your skincare routine to fight the harmful effects of pollution. Our multi-action formula will revitalise your skin while eliminating blemishes, giving your skin greater oil and pore control, and acting as a resilient anti-pollution screen.
- Anti-Ageing Serum: Tiredness, diet, pollution, stress and seasonal changes are all equally to blame for wearing down our skin. Thankfully, our Anti-Ageing Serum is packed full of powerful peptides that form an immediate (and invisible!) barrier. The result? No more pollutants entering and damaging your skin.
- Brightening Serum: Get your daily super-boost of Vitamin C with our pure and potent formula. Our Brightening Serum quickly penetrates your skin’s surface to provide an antioxidant defence against skin-damaging free radicals – you know, all those age-accelerating nasties like UV, pollution and smoke.
for supercharged results.
5 star serums
at 3 star prices.
Hyper targeted solutions, with gold standard ingredients.